A Quick Guide to Mold Removal in California
You’ve probably seen it on the news a few times; stories of families with a serious of unidentifiable illnesses, or else forced to leave their home and relocate while their entire house is gutted, all because of mold. Don’t let this insidious threat take over your home. Learn the telltale signs of mold growth in your home and learn how to remove it properly and efficiently before things get out of control.
Households in California are particularly susceptible to mold overgrowth due to the high humidity from the Pacific Ocean. Mold begins to take over when there are high levels of humidity in your home. This can be caused by flooding, undetected leaks in your plumbing or air conditioning, poor ventilation, or even a host of indoor house plants- the frequent watering can increase your indoor humidity.
Household mold can cause a host of unwanted problems such as respiratory infections, chronic headaches, paint damage, warping of the floorboards, and even serious illness. You can prevent mold from growing by keeping your house as clean and dry as possible. Make sure your HVAC system and washer and dryer are all properly ventilated. Check regularly for flooding in the pipes, especially if you have a basement. But what do you do if you already have a mold problem?
If you’re not yet ready to make a commitment to a professional mold removal team, there are a handful of DIY solutions you can try. First thing’s first; get a mold test. This doesn’t necessarily mean you nee to shell out big bucks for an expensive chemical system. There are many signs of mold you can check for using your own two eyes.
In addition to finding leaks, check for pockets of biological growth or staining, which is usually brown, green, or black in color. If you do purchase a mold detection system, try to find one that takes samples from both the air and surfaces around the house. This will give you a fuller picture and help you pinpoint exactly where your mold problem is coming from.
Before you try to do any mold busting yourself, you need to take some precautions. Wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth to prevent inhaling any potentially toxic environmental agents. In addition you should wear some protective goggles to keep your eyes safe. Begin at the source of the mold, sealing off the area and removing any carpet. The name of the game quarantine, clean, sanitize. If any area is heavily infested you will need to check inside walls (prod for soft spots), baseboards, and ventilation systems for additional pockets of mold. Once you’ve removed all of the mold you can find you can test again to get the all clear.
If these solutions don’t work, or if your problem is greater than you first realized, then it’s time to bring in the big guns. Professional mold removal companies or cleaning companies that have a mold removal specialist on staff are really your best bet for eradicating your mold problem. In fact, after all the time and effort you put into cleaning up the mold yourself you will probably end up hiring a professional anyway.
One of the greatest benefits of hiring a professional is the security you feel in knowing that the problem is completely gone. If you attempt to remove the mold yourself you might end up spending a few sleepless night worrying you missed a pocket. All it takes is one overlooked problem area and in a couple months you’re right back where you started. A professional team can ensure that your home is toxin free and safe for you and your family.
A professional mold removal team will inspect your home, remove any and all mold they find, and give you a detailed report of your home’s condition. They will also work with you to find the underlying cause of your mold infestation and suggest some tips for preventing the same kind of issue from happening again. The peace of mind you will achieve from letting a professional handle this repellent and potentially serious threat cannot be measured. Save the heartache and the doctor’s bills; let the specialists help.